HSBC Hong Kong, known in full as the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Group, is the founding member of the HSBC global group of banks. The bank was established in 1865 to facilitate and encourage trading between Hong Kong and Europe. Today, it stands as the biggest incorporated bank in Hong Kong.
Through a wide network of branches and ATM’s, the HSBC bank offers its clients various banking services. In order to improve accessibility and increase convenience, the bank has built an online platform that allows clients to access these services through online banking.
Online banking platform
Online Banking gives users full control of their accounts allowing them access to various services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. These services include:
- transfers & payments
- digital banking
- live chat with a HSBC bank support
- and exclusive online deals.
The online platform also guarantees users data protection and security by using a security device that generates unique security codes to ensure secure login.
The HSBC bank has also enforced a 5 step security system to ensure that online banking and transactions are always kept safe. These five steps include:
- multi-layer login check
- transaction check which is required each time a user needs to transfer money or pay bills
- a high 128 BIT encryption that keeps all data sent between the bank and the user’s PC secure
- an automatic time-out feature that locks the account after a few minutes of inactivity
- and SMS alerts on various transactions.
How to apply
In order to register for online banking, users will be required to have a personal HSBC account with an ATM or phone banking service, or an HSBC credit card with an ATM service. They will then need to create a user ID and password and to provide a second password for enhanced security.
Finally, they should set security questions and answers in the event they may need to reset their password in future.
The client will be able to access online banking, when they they provide the details above and also accept the terms and conditions.
All clients who have registered for online banking are also eligible to make use of mobile banking. Mobile banking allows users to:
- view account balances
- trade stocks on the Hong Kong and New York stock exchange
- pay bills to registered merchants
- transfer money between accounts
- buy travel and home insurance.
Mobile banking is available through the HSBC HK app, which can be downloaded from the App Store or Google Play. The app is compatible with devices that have iOS 8 and up, or Android 4.1 and up.